Department: Pavilion Dining
The Lead Cook is responsible for aiding in the organization, coordination and supervision of the preparation of hot food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards. The Lead Cook, under the supervision of the Chef, acts as a working supervisor in training, coordinating and evaluating the work of the lower level cooks. Typically, the Lead Cook performs the more difficult production duties and participates in recipe and product development. The Lead Cook assists the Chef by developing departmental goals.
General supervision is received from the Chef/Production Manager and Area Manager. The Lead Cook exercises close supervision of Cook, Custodian and casual worker staff (kitchen assistants and student staff).
Examples of Work:
2. Customer Satisfaction.
4. Safety and Sanitation.
5. University and Dining Services Policies.
• Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
• At least two years of related food service experience and at least one year of supervisory experience.
PERFORMANCE EXPECTATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and manage personal and subordinate staff workloads.
• Must be thoroughly trained in classical and modern food preparation methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of proper cook times, temperatures and food preparation procedures and techniques.
• Understanding of basic sanitation and safety requirements.
• Strong communication skills and problem solving abilities; must be able to communicate with employees, University community members, and implement and maintain production records.
• Ability to organize personnel, work and materials for maximum productivity; knowledge of basic ordering techniques and maintenance of par stock.
• Proven ability to supervise and motivate staff, as well as evaluate performance and delegate appropriate responsibilities.
• Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below, as well as their preventive maintenance and calibration requirements.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Must complete 8 hour ServSafe Certification
• Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, early mornings, weekends and holidays. May be laid off during slow periods (December/January and May). Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate intersession and summer conference business. Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: $18.16 - $21.00; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: September 24, 2017
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application and be sure to upload your resume for full consideration. In addition to your resume, you are strongly encouraged to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806
, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org